Joseph Gladden, parents unknown, was born in 1763, and died in Oct 1833 in Jefferson Co OH. He was married to Hannah Munn, daughter of John and Margaret Munn, who was born 6 Sep 1773, and died 13 Mar 1822 (?) or in 1818 or 28 May 1822 in Jefferson Co OH. Her tombstone has been deciphered many ways. Both Joseph and Hannah Gladden were buried in Two Ridges Cemetery at Wintersville, Jefferson Co OH, although the stones are illegible per the most recent readings. Joseph Gladden was married second 12 Apr 1832 in Jefferson Co OH to Rebecca Hanlon. It is possible that he is also the Joseph Gladden who married 4 Aug 1825 Jefferson Co to Sally Hartford [Vol. 3, p. 37]. Joseph Gladden was taxed in Nottingham Twp., Washington Co PA in 1793. Gladden was an early Jefferson County pioneer, having acquired land from Thomas Edgington in 1799 [Vol. A]. A biography of a son, David, in the 1880 History of Belmont and Jefferson Counties, p. 594, states that his parents removed from Washington Co PA to Jefferson Co OH in 1800, settling in Section 20, now in Island Creek Twp. Gladden was involved in lawsuits with Peter Eckley and Daniel Thompson, per common pleas records [Vol. 1, p. 17], December Term 1803. He is taxed in Jefferson County in 1806 with 100 acres, and appears on the 1810 tax list for Island Creek Township with a 150 acre parcel and a 60 acre parcel. The 1820 census lists the Gladden family in Island Creek Twp., p. 255A; in 1830, on p. 21. Joseph Gladden of Island CreekTwp. made his will [Jefferson Co OH Will Book 2, pp. 376-379] on 2 Oct 1833 and names his wife Rebecca; and sons, Madison, Joseph and Aaron, who receive the mansion house and personal property; and son, William, who receives a quarter section in Monroe Twp., Richland Co OH, adjoining David Crawford and Solomon Gladden. Monetary provision is also made for his daughter, Elizabeth, wife of Samuel Adams; sons, Solomon Gladden, David Gladden, and John Gladden; and daughters, Hannah Cunningham, Mary Coe, Drusilla Cassell, and Lodema Gladden.
- Elizabeth, m. Samuel Adams
- Solomon, b. ca. 1792 Washington Co PA; d. 29 Jan 1873 near Perrysville, but in Richland Co OH [see Richland Co Wills, Vol. 4, pp. 100-101]; m(1) ca 1816 to Mary Marlin, d. 1818; m(2) Rachel Young
- David, b. 8 Nov 1796 Washington Co PA; d. 27 Mar 1859 Jefferson Co OH; m. 21 Jan 1819 Elizabeth Winters
- John, m. 29 Jan 1829 Jefferson Co OH to Nancy Cunningham
- Hannah, b. ca. 1801, d. 1885; m. 1 Feb 1823 Jefferson Co OH to William Cunningham
- Mary, b. 18 Jan 1804 Jefferson Co OH; m. 11 Apr 1822 Jefferson Co OH to Daniel Coe
- Drusilla, m. 7 Apr 1825 Jefferson Co OH to John Cassell
- Madison, m. 21 Apr 1835 Jefferson Co OH to Margaret McElory
- Joseph, perhaps m. 20 Apr 1835 Jefferson Co OH to Rachel Roberts
- Aaron, m. 24 Dec 1840 Jefferson Co OH to Mary H. Rex
- William, b. ca. 28 Apr 1811 Jefferson Co OH; d. 2 Jun 1836, bur. Salem Twp., Jefferson Co OH
Additionally, there may have been an older child (or brother), Thomas Gladden, per a Richland Co OH partition record filed in June Term 1837, Samuel and Sarah Gloyd of Richland Co vs the heirs of Thomas Gladden, deceased, viz: William and James Gladden of Richland Co OH, Thomas Gladden of Lucas Co OH, all adults, and Robert Gladden of Huron Co OH, and Jane, Adam, and Sarah Gladden of Richland Co OH, all minors, with dower right on land to widow, Sarah Gladden [OGS Manuscripts, Richland Co Common Pleas, Chancery, 1837-6-8a-d].
BACK TO THE BARBARA BUSH TABLE
SEND YOUR COMMENTS TO: