New London was again devastated by fire at about 5 P.M. on January 10, 1929 when the Thomas Garage on North Main Street was discovered to be on fire by George Clark, who was still at the garage at that time. The alarm was sounded and the fire department arrived in good time but the fire had gained such headway that little could be done to save the garage. The oil and gasoline on the premises just added fuel to the flames. All the automobiles were gotten out but with very little damage.
A call was sent to Norwalk for help, and in a short time five men and their large fire truck had arrived and by 9 o'clock they had the fire under control. The back of the garage was not burned and may be used again. The loss to the garage and contents of which there was a very heavy stock is estimated at about $30,000 dollars and was partly covered by insurance. Mr. George O'Hara's cream station which occupied a small wooden building adjoining the garage was also badly burned and the contents were rendered useless. The building was owned by Charles Skeese. The building next to the cream station owned by Mr. and Mrs M.C. Ferguson, which was full of dry goods and notions, was a trifle scorched and their goods badly soiled by water and mud. Most though were carried out on the sidewalk and escaped damage. The Ferguson's were very happy that it was no worse!
Mr. Thomas is now located in the Pember Garage and doing business again as usual. New supplies are arriving so that in a short time he can take care of his trade as he did before. He is undecided as yet as to rebuilding or what he will do on his own property.
For those who might not know, Jay Thomas was the father of Tessie, Dorothy, Joey, Jay, Bob, Barney and Chucky who all grew up here in New London. The garage was and is where Bailey Pontiac is now located.
V.K. Neel from New London Record article